This is my third Tarawi Shirt from Muna And Broad and I absolutely love it. I was new to shirts, but each one gets a little easier and needs less ripping as I go along!
This cotton poplin was perfect for this project and it is such an easy fabric to manage – particularly good for beginners. I was gifted the fabric as a Minerva Ambassador.
I washed and dried the fabric before sewing and it laundered really well. Even though it’s cotton it does not crease that much.
For this pattern there is a narrow neck and a standard neck option; and a narrow sleeve and standard sleeve. I used the narrow neck and the standard sleeve.
The placket is grown on but ingeniously designed so that the button part looks separate – there’s a little hem along the vertical inner edge of the placket.
The sleeve placket is bound, which works very well too.
I added an extra button to the cuff, just for fun. And the mixed buttons were partly determined by what I had on hand. I had planned red but only had 4, so I went with a mixture of navy and red. I did the button holes and pocket bartacks with red thread.
I just did one pocket – without the pleat and the flap.
And the bust options make fitting this shirt great for me, they go from 00 for people with no breast tissue and +2, +4, +6. These figures are relative to the shoulders. I have narrow shoulders and the size C with + 6 and grading out at the hips worked really well for me.
On this version I did a 1/2” forward shoulder adjustment. I lengthened the front of the shirt by 2” and the back by about 4”.
The jeans I’m wearing are the Muna and Broad Noice Jeans in a railroad all-cotton denim. And the jacket is the M&B Belmore Jacket in the same fabric.
This shirt goes up to size M or 66” bust and 71.5” hip.
I love your touches of whimsy with your finishes. I would never have thought to mix red with the blue buttons and I love it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
It came about due to shortage of buttons! But I was happy with the outcome.