This is the Amara Vest top from Tessuti fabrics.
I think this Amara top is a great layering piece for autumn/winter, although I’m still messing around with the sizing.
Altering the armhole
The top goes from size 1 to size 4. I made the dark check one in size 3 first. But I realised when I had the binding done on both armholes and the sides sewn up that the arm openings were much too small for me. I took the arm binding off and deepened the armhole under the arm and redid the binding. The result is wearable but still slightly restrictive on the arms.
I should add that I added the binding using the binder attachment on my Babylock Coverstitch and this method does shrink whatever opening you apply it to. I’m not sure how much, but I’d say about 15%.
Grading the pattern up
So for the purple one, I graded up to size 4 and deepened the armholes even more. Since I had cut off size 4, I added greaseproof paper and guessed how much to go up.
The tartan fabric is a piece of wool I’ve had lying around for a while; and the purple is brushed cotton sweatshirt from http://www.dressfabrics.ie.
I made the viscose binding on both tops by cutting straight strips off some knit viscose fabric.
I wasn’t mad about the vertical shape of the pockets in this pattern, so for the purple one I used the pattern piece from the Wiksten Shift Top instead (https://shopwiksten.com/products/womens-modern-shift-dress-top-sewing-pattern).
Trial run for boiled wool
All this is in preparation for some boiled wool in several colours that I have ordered for this top. I think when I make that, I will take 1/2” off the pattern piece at the centre front and centre back; and then bring the neckline out a bit towards the shoulder to compensate. I need the extra arm room.